As Shutdown Continues: Congressman Dan Crenshaw Among Others Forfeits His Salary Until Issue Is Resolved

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nicholas gray, Writer

With the government shutdown still in full stride, many families are being hit hard. Currently, with the active shutdown, many federal workers are not receiving their salary. Many of these workers are our own Men and Women in uniform, both active duty and retired service members. However, these are not all of them. Wildland Firefighters for the US Forest service are not being paid. Federal law enforcement such as FBI agents, US Marshals, ATF agents, and DEA Agents are not being paid. Homeland Security is not being paid. This includes the TSA, Border Security, Coast Guard, and US Forest Service. Federal Parks and Museum employees are also without pay.

Among all of the chaos of the government shut down, there are representatives and senators who have chosen to forgo their paychecks until there is a consensus in Washington, one of these being freshman Texas representative Dan Crenshaw(R). Crenshaw said in a tweet on January 10th, “I cannot in good conscience get paid while federal employees’ financial futures hang in the balance because of this partial government shutdown.”Along with Crenshaw are 14 other freshmen. However, there are also veterans. Maryland Senator Chris Van Hollen(D) has also decided to have docked pay.

Despite the seeming “war” going on between Republicans and Democrats over border security,  there are still representatives who are willing, no matter the party, to give up their checks to support the people they represent. They understand that we are all in this together and that they should not be treated any differently than the non-politician workers of the government.

Featured Image found from Dan Crenshaw Twitter: @DanCrenshawTX