The Most Underrated Rookie in the NFL Preston Williams WR- Miami Dolphins

Preston Williams makes impressive catch

Braden Tyer, Sports

Unless you’re a fan of Colorado State or a Miami Dolphins fan, you probably don’t know who Preston Williams is. Preston Williams attended Lovejoy High School in Georgia and was a four-star recruit coming out of high school. He was also ranked as the seventh-best receiver in the nation out of high school. 

Preston decided to attend the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Preston only had 16 receptions in his Freshmen and Sophomore seasons totaling 247 yards and two touchdowns. After his Sophomore season, Williams decided to transfer to the University of Colorado State. Because he transferred, by the rule of the NCAA, he had to sit all of the 2017 seasons. During 2017 Preston was found guilty to an off-field misdemeanor assault charge and was suspended from the team. Williams was reinstated to the team and played the next season for Colorado State.

Preston’s Junior season, however, was one for the ages. Williams came in 3rd in all FBS schools with 96 receptions, while also finishing 4th with 1,345 yards and he was tied for 3rd with 14 touchdowns. Williams showed how explosive he can be when he has the ball in his hands. However, Colorado State never really played against great teams the whole season. The only exception is they played Florida week seven and got blown out 48-10, but still, Williams had 9 receptions for 106 yards in that game.  Williams just wasn’t getting the attention he should’ve because he was playing for a small school, and people were overlooking his talent.

Williams decided to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft. Despite the numbers Williams put up in college, he was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine because of his past misdemeanor assault charge. The Scouting Combine is where upcoming rookies show off their skills in front of NFL head coaches and scouts. This was a huge disadvantage for Williams because he never really got the attention he deserved in college, and this was his chance to show off his skills in front of coaches and scouts. Williams wasn’t drafted in the NFL draft in April, but the Miami Dolphins signed him as an undrafted free agent. Since the Dolphins signed him Williams has been impressing the Dolphin Coaching staff and getting more attention as people are figuring out who Preston Williams is. In the Dolphins week, 1 preseason game Williams had 4 catches for 97 yards while racking in some jaw-dropping catches. 

The Dolphins arguably have one of the worst receiving groups in the NFL. The group is made up of Devante Parker, Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, Allen Hurns, and Preston Williams. There is definitely a chance that Williams gets a decent amount of action this season with a poor receiving group around him.