Hong Kong Protests Continue a Steady Pace with No Sign of Stopping

Kassidy Haggard, National and World News

The Hong Kong protests have been going on for a number of months now (six to be exact), and they show no sign of stopping. Though the Hong Kong government and police have made an effort to quell the protests, their attempts seem futile. 

This time, the protests have been centered at a university campus, where students have been trying to keep police out by barricading the campus. These protests at the campus were born out of the Hong Kong government not passing an application that would not allow police to enter the campus without obtaining a warrant first. 

While students at the university threw bricks–statements have been made that an elderly man was caught in the crossfire and got hit by one of the bricks–at the police and others threw petrol bombs as the police used tear gas, others in the New Territories set bonfires on campus, similar to the ones that were set weeks ago, but these new bonfires are on a much larger scale. 

One of the largest highways has also been the center of the barricades–students attempting to block it, as well as Hong Kong’s oldest train line. Other highways have been set alight, too. 

Throughout Wednesday students at the university began to construct barricades to keep the police out and even constructed a catapult, along with gathering weapons such as javelins, and bows and arrows.  

Though the police have cleared out other protest camps throughout the city with the use of tear gas, they have made no further attempt to enter the campus. The government even issued a warning to employees and university chiefs, stating that if any of the upwards of 175,000 employees are seen taking part in the protests they will face immediate suspension.  This is most likely an attempt to not only keep more people from joining the protests but also to keep the anti-mask law running, despite most people choosing to ignore the law. 

These protests have been steadily continuing throughout the months they have been going on, and though Carrie Lam, the Chief Executive, have stated the support for the protests has been slowing down, there is no sign of this, and the protests have continued to be a part of daily life for the citizens of Hong Kong. 

In addition to students taking action in the protests, white-collar workers (executives, architects, doctors, stockbrokers, doctors, dentists, lawyers, and the like) have been using their lunch break to go to the front lines of the protests and join in with the others, donning both masks and umbrellas (this could be a nod to the Umbrella Movement, which took place in 2014). 

Those taking part in these protests believe it is for the better of their city and their country, but it cannot be denied that Hong Kong is well on its way to being destroyed if the protests continue at the rate they have been. If there is any hope of Hong Kong going back to being peaceful and the protests ending, the Chinese government and the protesters need to come to a solution that makes both sides of the fight happy and allows citizens to go back to their normal lives.