Nicotine Addiction Check

Ashanti Salazer, Opinion and Entertainment

We have all heard of the epidemic that is vaping. West has frequent reminders about the risks and often encourages students to stop the habit. Posters, flyers, announcements, even disciplinary action have been measures taken to keep it out of our school. However, the question remains, is it even working? And if so, are students taking it seriously? 

Reverse psychology states that telling teenagers not to do something only makes them want to do it more. Very many students don’t take it seriously and make frequent jokes about the announcements. It seems a bit excessive and overall not very effective.

Students seem to also think that there are more serious issues in our school that require more attention. Speeding in the parking lot, for example, puts many people at risk and is hardly ever enforced. That poses a more serious safety threat. 

On the other hand, there are sometimes issues that are too focused on instead of vaping such as lanyards and dress code. If we had fewer people looking out for whether kids have a lanyard on or not or if girls are being “appropriate” then maybe they would notice all the vaping right in front of their eyes.

Another point of view was that if the school really wants to end this then they should focus on gaining student trust. If students do have a problem they should feel safe to tell an adult and ask for help. Withdrawal and addiction is a problem many students face. If the intention is to truly help these teens then making a support group is the best bet.

From a teacher’s perspective, they seem to think that it has no actual impact and is simple to make it seem as if action is being taken. The posters are mandatory but don’t do anything or prevent kids from vaping.